I mentioned on Twitter that I keep a copy of Mr. Bill Marriott's TWELVE RULES OF SUCCESS in my office. I think it is outstanding advice from one of our industry's most successful leaders.
1. Continually challenge your team to do better.
2. Take good care of your employees, and they'll take good care of your customers, and the customers will come back.
3. Celebrate your people's success, not your own.
4. Know what your're good at and mine those competencies for all your're worth.
5. Do it and do it now. Err on the side of taking action.
6. Communicate. Listen to your customers, associates, and competitors.
7. See and be seen. Get out of you office, walk around, make yourself visible and accessible.
8. Success is in the details.
9. It's more important to hire people with the right qualities than with specific experience.
10. Customer needs may vary, but their bias for quality never does.
11. Eliminate the cause of a mistake. Don't just clean it up.
12. View every problem as an opportunity to grow.