This is particularly helpful if you have a computer without Windows and want to install Vista. For the sake of argument, this would make any upgrade version you purchased just as powerful as the full retail edition.
How To: Clean install Windows Vista Upgrade Version without XP
- Boot Windows Vista Upgrade DVD to begin install.
- DO NOT ENTER YOUR PRODUCT KEY during setup. This will initiate a "30-day review" installation.
- Select your purchased version of Vista and continue.
- Once setup is complete and you have the Vista desktop for the first time, re-run the install (yes, again!) from within Windows Vista.
- When promoted for your product key, enter it. Continue setup.
- When promoted for Upgrade or Custom install, select Custom install to perform a clean install of Vista. (Yes, again!)
- Once setup has completed for the second time, activate Windows Vista normally. After activating, you can delete the Windows.old directory (which contains info on the first Vista install.)
That's it! Enjoy!!